"To love would be an awfully big adventure."— J.M. Barrie

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Best Day of Our Lives

After work on November 10th, Eric, my mom, and I went for another doctor's appointment. I really had not made enough progress so we discussed finding a time to induce me. As the doctor left the room, Eric insisted that they do a non stress test on Dillon and me. I was so grouchy that I wasn't having a baby that day, I didn't want to get the test or spend any more time at the doctor. I had the last appointment of the day and my doctor had to work in labor and delivery that night so I had to go there to get the test. While I pouted through the entire test, a resident came in and informed me that I was having contractions 2 minutes apart. They wanted me to have my baby now. I was so happy. The doctor came in to explain my options but all I had to say was "YES!!!!" Let's have this baby. For an added touch my doctor was actually going to be there. At the hospital it is very uncommon for your own doctor to deliver your baby so I was really pumped about this.

After 9 hours of labor with 2 1/2 spent actively pushing our little baby bear was born. It was such a surreal experience. It's all a little hazy to me but I remember being really happy and extremely tired. My mom and Eric remember how big she was. We didn't think she would be much bigger than 7 lbs but to everyones surprise she was 8 lbs 10 oz and 21 inches long. We finally had our baby. It's everything we had ever wanted.

After she was born she was having a little difficulty breathing and she ended up getting a little infection. She had to be taken to the neonatal intensive care unit. It was really scary! We all ended spending the first 7 days of her life in the hospital. It was pretty intense. Eric and I got a little delirious from time to time. Our only connection to the outside world was my mom. She would bring us lunch and dinner each day.

Here are some pictures of the first week of baby Dillon's life...


Moments after delivery, I wish we had a picture of the proud dad's face. It was unforgettable how he looked at his baby girl






This is when we knew she was not only our baby girl but also a baby bear


She has been a daddy's girl from the start




2 comments:

Hollie Katina said...

She's beautiful!

Congrats.

Heather-joy said...

I am soooo behind on blogs and I apologize but I wanted to say that I am happy everything went well with your delivery and that your mom was able to bring the outside world into you as you, Eric, & Dillion spent so much time at the hospital. Again I need to meet her and see you so please come visit us!